All countries offer a student visa to foreign students to facilitate carrying out full time studies. The students are normally permitted to work for up to 15 or 20 hours per week part time in order to finance their studies. However, permission is formally required to engage in a job.

Some countries offer several different types of visas to carry out studies in their country, depending on nature of study - for obtaining a formal degree or a vocational training, etc.

Students' spouse may accompany by obtaining a visa alongside. However, each country places its own restrictions.

Some countries allow a training period after completion of studies.